Checkerboard overlay with alpha

Howdy,

I’m using NVIDIA’s fabulous Optix raytracer torender my scene

In Cinder, I’m pasting the rendered pixels into a Surface, which is fed into Texture that’s applied to a full screen solid rectangle. I’d like to overlay a semi-transparent checerkboard pattern onto the render but the alpha does not seem to be working … all I get is a solid checkerboard completely blocking the render. Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong here.

Thanks!

void renderInCinder ()
{
Pixels pixels = renderer->getFrontBuffer();
raytraceImage = ci::Surface(&pixels[0], windowSize.x, windowSize.y, windowSize.x * 4, ci::SurfaceChannelOrder::RGBA);

ci::ip::flipVertical(&raytraceImage);
ci::ip::checkerboard(&raytraceImage, windowBounds, 64, ci::ColorA8u(120, 220, 120, 128), ci::ColorA8u(180, 180, 180,128));
raytraceTexture->update(raytraceImage);

ci::gl::setMatricesWindow(windowSize);

ci::gl::ScopedGlslProg shader(raytraceShader);
raytraceShader->uniform("tex0", 0);

ci::gl::ScopedTextureBind tex0(raytraceTexture);

ci::gl::drawSolidRect(windowBounds);
}

have you enabled alpha blending?

gl::ScopedBlendAlpha blend
or
gl::enableAlphaBlending()

I didn’t have alpha blending enabled. But when I do, it has no effect.

Thanks for the help.

What does raytraceShader look like? Is it ignoring the alpha value of tex0 and explicitly setting the alpha to 1?
i.e OutColor = vec4 ( texture ( tex0, UV ).rgb, 1.0 ) as opposed to texture ( tex0, UV )?

Also, are you sure checkerboard is an additive function? Is it possibly just replacing your entire raytraceImage contents?

Also, are you sure checkerboard is an additive function? Is it possibly just replacing your entire raytraceImage contents?

D’uh. That was it. I just assumed because it took an alpha channel that it would blend the checkerboard onto the underlying surface. Instead, it was just replacing it.

Thanks for the help!