Capture with Raspbery Pi Camera Module

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with using the Camera Module on Raspberry Pi? Will Capture class work out of the box?

I want to build modules that capture streams using the cam module and do some OpenCV operations on it. I can go with the route of using OpenCV’s own VideoCapture class but that means building additional libs and I’d like to skip that if possible.

Hi,

I don’t think that Capture will work. There’s no Capture in linux, only a pull request as far as I know.

I successfully used raspicam a couple of years ago.
http://www.uco.es/investiga/grupos/ava/node/40

I can share the results if you need it.

-Gabor

Hey Gabor,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just checked the RaspiCam lib you mentioned and it seems it can handle the job. Although I found this thread where a user complains about RaspiCam being slow due to “system calls” and how he wants to use OpenCV’s own capture class. How was your experience in terms of speed/performance? I’d greatly appreciate it if you can share results :slight_smile: cheers!

Also I have one semi-unrelated question. When working on a Pi, do you use any IDE to code and debug? Or do you code on other platforms and just build them on Pi?

I used it for and AR project. The image was processed with an AR framework, and the framerate was fine even on a Pi 2. Of course it depends on what you would like to use it for.

I just built it on the Pi. On these new Pi boards this is quite fast now I think. What I also did thanks to the cross platform nature of Cinder that I mainly developed the project on a laptop with Cinder Capture and tested with raspicam on Pi from time to time.

Thanks a lot Gabor for the info :slight_smile:

Yeah I figured I could go with the routine of working with Cinder’s Capture and then just building on the Pi with RaspbiCam but I wanted to ask if anyone is using other methods. I also found about Geany which seems to be a lightweight IDE that will also work on a Pi.

Good to know about Geany, thanks. Although I use vim that also works everywhere :).