Cinder under linux

has some successfully install and run cinder under manjaro linux is there any guide on how to do it

Hi,

Although I haven’t personally used Manjaro, I have successfully used Cinder on Arch Linux in the past ( specifically on the RPi ) so I suppose if you just translate the debian dependencies to the relevant pacman packages that exist on Manjaro then the process for compiling and using Cinder should be the same as in any debian derivative.

HTH,
Petros

1 Like

hi, so i manage to install all nut when i try to compile an example i got this issue
Scanning dependencies of target BasicApp
[ 50%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/BasicApp.dir/home/jacos/Cinder/samples/BasicApp/src/BasicApp.cpp.o
[100%] Linking CXX executable Debug/BasicApp/BasicApp
/usr/bin/ld: /home/jacos/Cinder/lib/linux/x86_64//libboost_system.a(error_code.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against .rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a PIE object; recompile with -fPIC /usr/bin/ld: /home/jacos/Cinder/lib/linux/x86_64//libboost_filesystem.a(operations.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against symbol_ZN5boost10filesystem16filesystem_errorD1Ev’ can not be used when making a PIE object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: /home/jacos/Cinder/lib/linux/x86_64//libboost_filesystem.a(path.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1’ can not be used when making a PIE object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: nonrepresentable section on output
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/BasicApp.dir/build.make:106: Debug/BasicApp/BasicApp] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:73: CMakeFiles/BasicApp.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:84: all] Error 2
how can i fix ?? i think that the last step

Try with system installed boost instead. You will need to install the dev packages for boost-system and boost-filesystem through pacman and then configure Cinder with cmake .. -DCINDER_BOOST_USE_SYSTEM=1 and build as usual from then on.

Alternatively, you can apply this PR locally for now ( after you have installed the dev packages for boost ) and just do a default build of Cinder as usual.

HTH,
Petros

Just a note that PR #2007 has been merged into master, and is the recommended way going forward. It may take a bit for the docs to fully reflect this (since the website is based on the release branches in github).

Cheers,
Rich

so i made it to work under manjaro without major issues
i’ll like to now use Visual Studio Code as my IDE is there any guide there? which one do you use?

not of great help, but I remember using https://github.com/microsoft/vscode-cmake-tools and it worked ok, I could add breakpoints etc…

I followed this youtube vid, worked for me. Clion’s still a bit more feature rich, although VS Code is free…

A note/update. This week I installed the latest version of Manjaro (with KDE) on a machine, and I didn’t even need to “translate” many of the dependencies. As I recall, I pretty much only had to do:

$ pamac install cmake make pkgconfig

And then follow the usual Cinder Linux instructions (without worrying about more dependencies). It’s possible that one or two others had been installed by things I installed previously, but I think most dependencies are already there in the distro.

1 Like

yeah i managed to do it a long time now also made this script as there is no tinderbox for linux https://discourse.libcinder.org/t/tinderbox-in-linux/1683